On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 04:59:33PM -0800, Trent Piepho wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Mark Mielke wrote:
> > > A bot that can out-dogfight humans most of the time? Possible. A bot that
> > > can out-clue a human and actually win the game? Doubtful.
> > Why not? :-)
> > Just some examples of how *theoretically* a bot team could be
> > significantly better than a human team. Certain other aids are usually
> That's it, it's just theoretical.  In practice, any algorithm that you
> program will have a flaws and weaknesses.  Humans will find these and exploit
> them, and your bots will lose.

So... some of us are believers, and some are non-believers. I don't
personally have the time to do the whole thing myself... but... do
some other believers want to put in some time with me to show these
un-believers what years of coding in the practical realm can do to
a few geeks with happy trigger fingers, and a lot of pride? :-)

The flaws are not so easy to exploit, if the problem domain becomes
sufficiently complex that the human mind is not able to discern any
patterns that are guaranteed to exist.

After all... what are human strategies, except for minor modifications
of existing experience?

The human mind is certainly wonderful. God is great, and all that.

The human mind is *not* necessarily the best at everything.

mark

--
mark at mielke.cc/markm at ncf.ca/markm at nortelnetworks.com __________________________

                       and in the darkness bind them...