On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 12:23:43PM -0800, Tom Holub wrote:
> Every ehnancement you've talked about is to tactical stuff which top
> players, and existing robots, ALREADY DO ALMOST OPTIMALLY.  It is
> extremely unlikely that any amount of tactical work will create a
> robot which could beat sfd's in a dogfight more than 55% of the time.
> Perfect tactical play is a SOLVED PROBLEM in netrek, so you can spend
> the rest of your life working on perfecting tactical play and not get
> anywhere.  If you don't believe me, fine, go waste your time, what do
> I care?

First off... you assume that existing robots are the best. For anybody
who has lived on this planet for any length of time, one of the first
lessons to be learned is that one is almost guaranteed to find
'better' in any category.

Secondly, you make my point exactly. Why do you care what I 'waste' my
time on?

Seriously. Why is this such a hot issue with you?

Will it bust your balls to see a group of people attempt to make the
best 'bot ever seen?

Why not be encouraging, or at least withhold a little bit of your rage?

mark

--
mark at mielke.cc/markm at ncf.ca/markm at nortelnetworks.com __________________________

                       and in the darkness bind them...