----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Mielke" <mark at mark.mielke.cc>
To: <vanilla-list at us.netrek.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2001 5:29 AM
Subject: Re: [Vanilla List] the rules of netrek

> On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 11:51:58PM -0800, Daniel Damouth wrote:
> > Well, sure, if you're going to change the rules, or find a server god
> > willing to do so, then the bots won't be cheating.  But why not play the
> > same game the humans are playing?  I.e. use INL rules.  Not only is it a
> > more interesting challenge, but it also would make human vs. bot games
> > meaningful.
>
> No 'rules' have been changed. 'Rules' will be exploited.

If no rules have been changed, then my client should be able to tell other
clients everything it is seeing, and vice-versa.  Why do you think that
feature is not allowed in any blessed clients?  (Because it's a rule).

> I'm not certain that exploitation of a ruleset is synanymous with
> cheating, or changing the rules. Is butt-torping illegal in the INL?

Butt torping is allowed, but socket communication between clients is not.
That's what rules are; they allow some things, but not others.

Dan Damouth