On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 04:08:12PM +1100, James Cameron wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 07:33:32PM -0500, Mark Mielke wrote:
> > It is also obvious that the real reason that server Gods choose to
> > disable certain configurable features for clients connected to their
> > server, because they feel that a computer-aided ensign human has the
> > potential to be better than a non-computer-aided commander.
> No, you misunderstand.  The real reason is that the players demand the
> perception of fairness of play, and we don't want to annoy them.
> There are no such technical reasons that you put forth.  It is all a
> matter of perception.  Reality, or scientific proof, is irrelevant.
>
> It took me a little while to catch on, but as I managed the server
> continuum.us.netrek.org, I found that I must listen to perception far
> more than technical arguments.  I think you might benefit from the same
> practice.
>
> I understand your arguments, it is just that they are not relevant to
> my decision making process as the server diety.

I don't expect the robots to ever be valid on continuum. I was
expecting something more along the lines of a "hockey" server, a
"chaos" server, a "bronco" server, and a "robot challenge" server.  I
may run the "robot challenge" server myself. If people want to play
against robots, they know what they are getting into. If they want to
stick to human players, continuum is around to suit their needs. :-)

It isn't that I don't understand. It's that I assumed that the 'bots
would never be allowed on continuum. I wouldn't even want to have this
policy be changed.

> I'm looking forward to seeing your robots.  You can clearly type quite
> fast and with a low defect rate, and that is a useful skill for a coder.

If it takes too long to write down in a text file, it may get forgotten. :-)

mark

--
mark at mielke.cc/markm at ncf.ca/markm at nortelnetworks.com __________________________

                       and in the darkness bind them...