On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 08:16:20PM +0200, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
> Ainsi parlait James Cameron :
> > Shows our Makefile are dumb.
> > If you can fix them, we will fix our CVS.
> Why don't you switch to plain autoconf/automake instead ?

'Cause we're not good at it, we don't want to break what works, and we
tend to work on things that we think will significantly improve the
end-product.  We don't normally see packaging problems, which is exactly
why we need someone who does see them.  ;-)

The Netrek server is a very old source tree, and was compiling fine
before autoconf and automake became popular.  We did add autoconf to it,
as you can see from the existence of a configure.in and Makefile.in, but
nobody has yet taken the next step of using automake.  I'm not sure what
it would get us.

I've added it to the PROJECTS list in CVS.