I am attempting to port the server and I have some questions concerning
it.

It appears that commands sent from the players modify the shared memory
immediately and there is no mutex or semaphore controlling access to it.
Is this the way that it works, or am I missing something? Originally I was
looking at locking the memory while the universe "updates," but this
doesn't seem to be the case in the original code.

The second question is concerning the fuel update routine.  It appears to
be flawed in some rare cases.  When a player is at warp 6 while cloaked
and runs out of fuel in a CA, the routine correctly disengages the cloak
and keeps the player at warp 6.  If the player is at warp 9 while cloaked,
it appears that the routine incorrectly sets the players speed to warp 5
and decloaks him.  Isn't the player still supposed to be at warp 6 because
this is where the energy output equalizes his expenditures?

Darryl Palmer