There isn't any COW development in progress.  I think it's fine to use HEAD
if you've #ifdef'ed the SDL sound code.  If we really need to fix something
in a released version of COW, we can turn a previous release tag into a
branch tag.

But if you really want your own branch, just use a branch tag like cow_sdl
or cow_tanner.