On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Todd E. Mikkelsen wrote:

> I am a teacher trying to create an after school gaming league.  I remember
> playing netrek after school and thought that this would be a great idea.
>
> I am applying for a grant to get a server, and 20 PC computers.
>
> I need to know what kind of connection to the internet I will need and how
> to install the software so I can have a client that my students can use and
> other people can use when we are not.

That's great. I'd worry that the kids might not be interested due to all the
flashy 3d games they play, though. But it's certainly worth a try.

You'd probably be best off just having them play locally to start off with.
Those who are interested could go play on public servers.

Latency is more important than bandwidth for netrek. In a school setting, if
you have, say, a 56k or ISDN line with other students surfing, netrek
players are going to be very unhappy. If nobody's doing anything else, I
think you can fit 16 players in that little bandwidth just fine. If you have
something like a T1, you should be okay with other people doing stuff.

Please let us know how it goes.