Quoting Kurt Siegl (007 at freemail.at):
> On Wednesday 01 May 2002 09:36, Bob Tanner wrote:
> > Is it possible to run netrek behind a linux firewall using iptables and
> > masquarding?
>
> With portSwap: on the client actively opens the connection to the server.
> This is enough to get through masqerading hosts, as well as firewalls wich
> are open for connections from the inside.

I assume portSwap: is a cow only parameter, based on this post from Alec?

http://archives2.real-time.com/vanilla-list/1999/Apr/msg00023.html

Does the lastest build of cow have portSwap enabled by default? I'm assuming so,
from this url:

http://www.netrek.org/cow/current/README.html

I'm assuming you can config the client to use something like port 9999 with the
portSwap feature.

So firewall rules would look something like this (if you got portSwap):

open a hole for tcp port 2592 to your favorite server; this is the initial tcp
connection

open a hole for udp port 9999 to your favorite server; this is the real-time
traffic of the game

Any other ports that should be opened?

My confusion is with James posting here:

http://archives2.real-time.com/vanilla-clients/2000/Mar/msg00008.html

His recommendation is to use trekhopd, is that still the best recommendation?

If so, could it be made into an iptables module?

--
Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com>         | Phone : (952)943-8700
http://www.mn-linux.org, Minnesota, Linux | Fax   : (952)943-8500