Netrek software is distributed under several different licenses, some
that may even be in conflict with one another.  Unfortunately, past
attempts to resolve this issue were in vain due to the fact that it was
impossible to contact all significant contributors to rerelease their
works under a formal license.  Although the consensus is that Netrek
software license is more BSD-ish than GPL-ish, there is still
disagreement about whether it may be distributed for-profit.

Also, compiled Netrek binaries fall under U.S. export control
regulations covering cryptography.  All binary software distributed
under the netrek.org umbrella are exempted under these regulations
because I have secured that exemption on behalf of the netrek community.
If Alex redistributes Netrek binary software containing encryption, then
he or his company may need to obtain permission from U.S. Bureau of
Industry and Security like we did.

A clearer understanding of Alex's purpose and motivation may help.  But
the bottom line is that the netrek community does not have collective
authority to grant a special license or collect any fees, so it may be
best to simply quote the Netrek license to him in response, notify him
of the cryptographic nature of Netrek software, request (but not
require) reasonable publicity for Netrek (pointer to web page, etc), and
leave it at that.