Glade allows you to rapidly develope these interfaces, and can
create source code in a variety of languages that will construct
the interfaces for you. Glade can also be used in conjunction
with libglade to dynamically create user interfaces from the XML
description file that Glade creates.

> However, glade now creates a totally different set of source files;  there
> isn't an xml file to describe the project anymore.  Most of the stuff that
> gets generated are stubs--you get to fill in the C code, mostly the callback
> functions.

When the interface is finished, you then usually save the
project and build the C source files that will be used to
generate the user interface.  Integration with your project
logic then follows.

> I think we should just go with the latter approach.  Trying to salvage
> code from gum could be problematic, since we'd have to remove all the
> existing widgets and add our own--easier to start from scratch.  We could
> probably use the stuff that James wrote to work with the config files--ie
> the functions to write stuff to the xtrekrc.

So you are saying we should just use recycle his GtkWidget
definitions in the existing C code? Can't we just load his .xml
file and do our changes in glade then save as C source?

> I'm gonna worry about the windows build.  I want to make sure I can build it
> using cygwin.  I've looked into it and yes, the libraries are available in
> cygwin, though I haven't tried compiling it there.

Ok and I can do the Linux build? I installed Cygwin once but
couldn't get it working. A shell window would flash for a second
then close. Last night I tried 3 times to get Sun Java tarball
to download using dialup (~40MB), it would get to within ~100k of
the final size and then hang :( argh. I tried directly ftp'ing
but there is nothing there (ftp.sun.com). So after trying 2
mirror sites and HTTP via the Sun website I don't know what else
to try.

> So, if you can set me and zach up with CVS access, we can get goin.

Cool.

Zach

zu22 at andrew.cmu.edu
"Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have faith." - John 20:29