On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, William Balcerski wrote:

> I'd like to hear what other people think of the latest change to Vanilla.
>> From the Changelog:
>
> +	* ntserv/ntscmds.c: add a vote to temporarily ban, which requires
> +	100 non-banned logins before the temporary ban expires.  If the
> +	banned IP address tries in the meanwhile, the countdown is
> +	manipulated upwards

I don't like this feature.

The good thing it would bring is that whenever someone is, for instance,
dead duding the base and it's not a full game the team can have the player
ejected for a long period of time.

The bad things it would bring is that first off, as Bill says, most likely
it will be abused. Second, I also agree with Bill that it's very harsh
with the 100 unique logins and that you're punished for checking if the
ban has been lifted.

Normally when someone is acting like an asshole he gets ejected and can't
log back in because there's a full game. If there isn't a full game it's
not that easy to be a huge asshole worthy of a ban because there's
normally not that much going on (and if there is a lot going on the game
will be full pretty soon). So I really don't see that big a need for a
temporary ban vote.

Maybe the people that think the ban is a good idea can speak up so that we
get to hear why 1) it won't be abused 2) it's not too harsh and 3)
ejecting someone isn't enough.

--Niclas