On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 02:11:21PM -0800, . . wrote:
> I didn't insult Joe's Mom, but I don't agree that code is
> documentation or vice versa. However, when I see either of you on
> continuum, I plan to insult your mother.

Good code is good documentation, for good code readers. Especially
code that will change, as people seem to have difficulty updating the
comments to reflect the code changes. It's no good at all to have a
barely accurate or useful comment, possibly mis-describing the very
accurate code. I find that unless the code is impossible to read
(yuck), I'll read the code first, and only if I have questions, will I
read the comments, to try to understand what in the heck the author
was thinking when he wrote it.

As to which of the three (more than one?) are lacking - I'll leave you
to decide. :-)

More seriously -

The netrek code of 10+ years ago - when I actually wrote additional
code for it client-side and server-side, was quite poor. Obviously
the work of a few University grads in their spare time. I found it
really hard to follow.

The last time I looked at it - porting some of my changes back up to a
more recent version, there was a great deal of improvement that I
immediately noticed. I think this included ANSI-C, a re-written
network/packet layer, and some nicer simplification in the daemon.
I'd say this switched it from poor to average or better quality.

I haven't looked recently to offer my condescending judgement for
2006... :-)

Cheers,
mark