having worked with java in the past, it is very unwieldly as a tool and a royal pain. i wouldn't recommend that as a development base for this app (or any for that matter). probably ANSI or clean C would be my recommendation -- along with adequate documentation ;-). at some point this code can be integrated directly into the client as a library and invoked via command line switch "--check-config" or something. apache httpd has a similar command line to validate the syntax of the config file.