On 5/16/06, Jimmy Huang <jimmyhua73 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Any tips on how to compile the COW client for linux?
>
> I tried compiling it before. It compiles fine, but as
> soon as I try to run it, it core dumps.

Before you ./configure, change this line in system.mk.in

OPT             = -O2
to be:
OPT             = -g -Wall

That change will make cow compile with debugging symbols on.

Then run cow under gdb

gdb ./netrek
> run
(segfault should occur)
> backtrace

And post the backtrace on the mailing list.

If you have the corefile (and it doesn't contain any passwords, make
sure to omit them from your netrekrc) you can email it to me
privately, provided you've turned debugging symbols on for the
corefile.
--
Stephen Thorne

"Give me enough bandwidth and a place to sit and I will move the world."
  --Jonathan Lange