Right, the delay is set to 0, but not before the server would send a
newwarning message to client that your battle computers are being
reprogrammed.  This prevents that message from being sent (I came across
this while adding a timer client-side to keep track of declare war delay.
If the server is not going to give us a delay, the delay message should
not be sent, period.)

As for bots, the whole problem with observers locking onto iggies and then
not being able to do anything (lock onto someone else, quit, etc) was due
to bots being in a permanent state of delay (their war timer is never
decremented like a player's timer).  This was partially fixed by a
previous patch of mine by not masking the PFWAR flag to observers.  This
second patch gets at the root of the problem - bots should not be flagged
PFWAR.  Of course, bots don't freeze cause they don't have to input
anything.