On Sun, May 21, 2006 at 08:41:56PM -0500, williamb at its.caltech.edu wrote:
> Sun May 21 20:39:01 CDT 2006  williamb at its.caltech.edu
>   * Phaser hit information equalization

Rejected.  Breaks Paradise 2000, according to reports.  My better
understanding of the short packets changes (it's been a few years) are
that the information doesn't need equalisation.  My apologies for
previous simplistic explanations ... think of short packets as a
revision to the protocol that had the benefit of reducing bandwidth.

Is there any reason why you can't use short packets for this?

If so, can we add new packets to get what you need?  Parsing a text
message shouldn't be the way to design new features.  I prefer new
packet types and feature packets to negotiate them.