On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 12:10:20AM +0000, Zach wrote:
> I had successfully built/installed the server a few days ago into /tmp
> so I was going to build and install it for real this time so I did a
> 'darcs pull' from Quozl's repo and ran tests/build and now it dies!

Yeah, I got that too.  Oh well, it's not important, as it's so easy to
fix.

Was autoconf recently upgraded on your system?  It was upgraded on my
system on 26th May, and that's when the problem began.  You can check
that by looking at the times on the files

	/var/lib/dpkg/info/autoconf*

On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 12:19:43AM +0000, Zach wrote:
> Vanilla/configure script is also missing now. what is going on?

This is intentional, and you were told.

> the old way worked for all these years why is someone drastically
> altering the build/configure process??!

Because it is better to change it than to leave it as it is.  If you are
challenging my decision on it, you better have a good reason other than
your unwillingness to review patches and documentation.

> At least document in INSTALL how to build it now.

Absolutely not.  INSTALL is instructions for end-user who downloads
tar.gz file.  It is only a subset of the instructions needed to build
from source obtained from Darcs.

> I only found out about tests/build script from being in #netrek
> channel.

You are unwise to rely only on the #netrek channel for understanding
changes being made by the team to the repository.  Instead, use the
repository tools.  See the Darcs manual, which explains how to look at
changes made.

> If this was replaced also by a new way to build why is it not
> documented in the distribution?

Because the distribution (the .tar.gz) is not affected by this change.
A new .tar.gz file when it is produced will include INSTALL and
configure, it should not include autogen.sh.

Adding instructions to INSTALL that don't relate to the .tar.gz would be
pointless and harmful.

> This really MUST be documented and put INSIDE the Vanilla source tree
> PLEASE.

It is documented, see README.darcs.  Okay, maybe it is a little brief,
but you are expected to know GNU standards, and autogen.sh is a common
thing to find in other GNU style projects.

I'll take patches to README.darcs!

On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 05:37:19PM -0700, Jimmy Huang wrote:
> I agree it should have been documented.
> sh autogen.sh
> ./configure --prefix==/tmp/netrek

Are you sure about that double equals sign, Jimmy?  I've not tried that.

> Also, you need a whole bunch of other software
> packages that you didn't used to need. Figure out what
> they are as when autogen crashes. I forgot what they
> were (i should have written down what I did).

Rats.  If someone builds such a list (such as that found in
debian/control in the repository), please submit it.

On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 05:52:09PM -0700, Jimmy Huang wrote:
> Do you have mp.h libraries by any chance? I do not,
> and I tried all the repos, and they build fine.

That's a very important point ... removing the mp.h would probably have
fixed the configure as well.