On Tue, 30 May 2006, James Cameron wrote:

> On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 02:46:38PM +0300, Stas Pirogov wrote:
>
> > * sys/socket addition to tools/players.c
>
> Rejected.
>
> I'd like this done by configure.in in config.h, so that we should only
> need to #include "config.h" for this to be included.  You're welcome to
> have a go at that, there are ample other functions that seem to do this.

Well, I'd like to understand a little bit better what do you mean. Today
there are three types of use for config.h (at least that's what I can
see):

1. if some condition is met #define VARIABLE ... (configure decision)
2. if some VARIABLE is defined - define INCLUDE_VARIABLE to be some
   include file, otherwise define INCLUDE_VARIABLE to be NULLFILE (compile
   time)
3. if some VARIABLE is defined - do something (define functions, include
   files, etc.)

In order to use type 2 decisions there are #include INCLUDE_VARIABLE
directives in code files, so if the variable is set you include something,
if not you include "null"

Type 3 requires only config.h be included (or defs.h that is included
lots of times instead of config.h)

What kind of patch would you like to see ? To have type 2 variable defined
for <sys/socket.h> ? There are plenty of files that include <sys/socket.h>
directly these days. Why to begin replacing all that with some variable ?

Stas.