I'll be on the IRC channel.  I'd like to discuss how to move the Windows
client (and by proxy other clients) forward.  In brief though, these are the
things I think we should do, in the order I'd recommend doing them.

1. Create a Main Menu/Title screen, with access to options, etc.
2. Integrate the external tools (configuration, cambot, tutorial) into the
main game exe, accessible from the main menu
3. Ensure that the UI conforms to Windows standards.  Namely, that the main
game windows have normal controls (close, minimize) and responds properly to
them.
4. Integrate the metaserver UI into the game UI as the first screen you hit
when you start, rather than a separate window which pops up.
5. Examine the use of keyboard input on the login screen.  For example, ESC
should be used to quit the game (or bring up a 'Really Quit?' box) and a
more standard username/password UI should be implemented.

I believe these items will go a long ways towards making the game feel more
like a cohesive product than a scattering of applications and
poorly-behaving windows apps.  Later on I'd start to tackle some of the more
drastic changes:

1. Scrap the UI code, at least for Windows.  Not only is it messy, but it's
not flexible enough to allow the proper use of modern UI elements and
design.  Enable more significant 'themeing' capabilities.
2. Revamp the graphics system to use a mechanism more suited to modern day
graphics expectations that would allow us to significantly up-rate the
graphics in the future.  Probably something 3D.
3. Update the network protocol (along with the server side) to allow
event-based network updates.  Along with this would be client-side
extrapolation of movement for ships based on the last known speed/heading,
which would lead to MUCH smoother graphics. (this is non-trivial though
because of things like torp wobble and latency)
4. Consider if we could translate Netrek to a console, like the Xbox 360 on
Xbox Live.  This would be some serious work because there are issues
relating to input and communication which, at first look, are not compatible
with XBox capabilities.  However, there is a substantial market there for
potential new gamers, and it may be worth tapping in to.  Something to think
about.

For Windows development, I would suggest moving to C#.  The reasons are
thus:
1. .NET is the future of programming for the Windows platform.
2. C# is very easy to pick up if you have done much programming in C++
3. It is very easy to develop in C#, MUCH less error prone than C++.
3. The development environment for it is mature now with all the tools
you'll need.
4. C# is portable to other platforms using Mono
5. The development tools for C# are free from Microsoft on Windows, and free
for Mono on the Unixes.
6. If we do elect to make an Xbox 360 version, C#, vis-à-vis the XNA Game
Studio, allows simultaneous development for Xbox and Windows with
essentially no code changes.

XNA Game Studio Express may be found here:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/xna/aa937795.aspx

You'll need Visual C# Express first (even if you have Visual Studio 2005),
which you can get here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualcsharp/download/

I would be more than happy to talk with anyone on IRC or here about issues
with C# and instruct those who have not yet had an opportunity to learn it.
As someone who spent 10 years doing professional C and C++ development for
Linux and Windows, I can confidently say that moving to C# (or adding it to
your repertoire) is something you will not regret.

Oh, and P.S., I am willing to lead this effort on the Windows side of
things.