I approve the design of the applet.  The load on the metaservers would
be minimal.

I'd also like you to consider a change to the client vs metaserver
protocol, that I have considered for some time.  A sort of subscription
mode, where the metaserver keeps a memory of clients that have requested
updates, and sends updates to them that it receives from servers ...
that is to say it will retransmit what it has already sent if the values
have changed in anything bar information age.

Clients would be forgotten by the metaserver once they haven't been
heard from for five minutes.  So clients would be expected to
resubscribe every few minutes.