On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 11:51:07PM -0500, Andrew K. Bressen wrote:
>   RSA verification requested.
>   Tried to write 6, 0xbfe3bc20, 12
>   write: Destination address required
>   gwrite failed.

Known problem, since fixed.  Upgrade.  Unfortunately, we don't have the
fix packaged into a binary release yet.

It was caused by code in COW that responded to a ping packet from the
server during the negotiation of UDP.  The code mistakenly used the UDP
socket before it had been connected to the server.  It has been there
for a long time, and I'm not sure what has recently changed to make it
more common.

You should find that adding "tryudp: off" to your .xtrekrc will work
around it.  If not, it's a different problem.

The fix is in my repository.

http://james.tooraweenah.com/darcs/netrek-client-cow/

Wed Feb 21 22:23:40 EST 2007  quozl at us.netrek.org
  * fix udp establishment
        * ping.c: sometimes establishing UDP fails, turns out because a
        ping packet arrives for us to reply to, but we haven't got the
        UDP connection established, and so gwrite fails.  Fix is to note
        this and just use TCP.

The diff is visible here:

http://james.tooraweenah.com/cgi-bin/darcs.cgi/netrek-client-cow/?c=diff&p=20070221112340-e4f26-dd56b28ad3748f9cc86bdbcf22f69a3463f173c4.gz

It is not yet in the netrek.org repository.  The netrek.org repository
is about 35 patches behind mine, dating back to November 2006.

http://www.netrek.org/repos/netrek-client-cow/

I'd like more people trying to use the client straight out of my
repository, so that we can detect regressions sooner.  I'm also
interested to hear from anyone who'd like to run a stable repo from
mine, from which they can build binaries.  I don't want to do
everything.