On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 04:29:14PM +0200, Rado S wrote:
> =- mark at mark.mielke.cc wrote on Thu 29.Mar'07 at 21:03:50 -0400 -=
> > Software exported from the United States not already covered by
> > an exemption is limited to 1024-bit assymmetric or 128-bit
> > symmetric for most countries. RSA is assymmetric. You'll note
> > that Java 5, which is legal for export from the US, comes with
> > JSSE which has 1024-bit RSA built in.
> Is this new?

Relatively new, yes.

Google for it. For some reason the year 2003 is significant to me.

> Several years ago I read export limitations prohibited "overseas"
> use of USA crypto technology, that's why there were no Euro
> key-holders allowed back then (AFAIK).
> Was that a hoax all the time?

Not a hoax, although I doubt the word "overseas" was part of the
official description. Export of strong cryptography was prohibited
along with the exports of weapons and such.

It is completely impractical for them to prevent encryption from being
used in software sold from the United States, though, therefore they
relaxed the limits. I assume the 1024-bit assymmetric or 128-bit
symmetric is based upon the most commonly required and used key
strengths that the US think they can crack in their top secret NSA
underground lair in under some time period.

The RSA patent expired around 2003 (would have to look it up again to
see the exact date). RSA labs made a guesture of good will by allowing
people to use it shortly in advance of the official patent expiration
date.

Cheers,
mark

--