On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 10:10 PM, Mark Mielke <mark at mark.mielke.cc> wrote:
> Forward and reverse orbits - depending on entry trajectory (affects game
> play)

Sounds like a good candidate for sysdef option.  This feature already
exists in the paradise server, might want to take a look and see how
they did it.

> Proper calculation of wall wrap - again, errors in the wall logic under
> chaos rules

Never noticed any misalignment when crossing over during the days of
chaos (monster).
What exactly are you referring to here?

> Phaser lock across the wall, plasma seeking across the wall
> Enemies across the wall show up as "near", meaning better cloaker
> approximation (more frequent updates), and proper updates to "see"
> torpedoes, phasers, etc. across the wall in suitably modified clients.

Yes plasma tracking would be nice :0  There's certainly a large issue
with chaos mode wall wrap in that clients don't have the ability to
draw information on tactical across the "wall" even if it was given by
the server (which it isn't).  With a fair amount of work on both
client and server end it could be done.  It would require a feature
packet to let the client know wall wrap is enabled.  The feature
packet would have to be resent if sysdef is modified.  A lot of server
routines would have to be modified (enemy visibility, alert status,
phaser hit, torp tracking, plasma tracking, possibly more I'm
forgetting).  A lot of client draw routines on local (ships, weapons,
planets, stars, etc) would have to be changed to support that feature
packet.  A few things on galactic map as well (phasers, view box).
All in all, a lot of work for a feature that isn't used on any servers
currently.  I personally think there are better things to spend time
working on.

Bill