I've played games that would utilize communication in EXACTLY the same
way as Netrek.  I've used it with up to 40 players.  There are no
problems as long as there is recognized leadership.  In clue games
this is no issue.  In pickup games people can turn off chat or mute
idiots should there be problems.  In practice (from pickup raids and
Call of Duty 4 on the Xbox) there aren't many problems.

Remember, humans are social animals and we self-organize.  In-game
communications is not so novel a concept that somehow we all need new
rules in order to communicate.  The _technology_ is new,
_communicating in large groups_ is not.

Jeffrey.

--

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy
from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a