On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 2:47 PM, Rado S <list2rado at gmx.de> wrote:

>  So you've never played in a big lab where people rather talk to each
>  other than hit extra keys?
>  Ask Linus how they did all the years at RIT.

Actually I did. At CMU I played many times with other people in the
same room. And I observed some of the best netrek teams of all time
playing in clue games, INL playoff games and INL championship  games
in the same room and they did not talk very much. At such a high level
and with players who know each other so well far less communication is
needed. However playing together in the same room  not equivalent to
playing remotely and using voice chat. I think voice has some good
applications, but I don't think it can effectively replace text. You
still need text sincet can convey so much information so quickly. It
would be neat to try voice in an upcoming clue game. On pickup if
voice is implemented we need to really think how it can be done to th
ebenefit of newbies and experienced players. If newbies ignore text
and expect voice as the sole means of communication they will be
missing out on the input and guidance from the clued and semi-clued
players since most of them will likey not opt to use voice, at least
not in pickup games.

Zach