Niclas Fredriksson wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Apr 2008, Mark Mielke wrote:
>

>> Somehow my thousands of hours of experience means absolutely nothing.
>> I'm neither surprised nor too hurt. It's exactly how people such as you
>> have acted for over a decade, and its exactly why I stopped enjoying
>> Netrek. Have fun Neil Armstrong.
>>

> You've previously stated that you have 0 hours of experience with playing
> netrek clue games with voice.

The opposite is true. I stated that I have played Netrek in the same
room with people, and enjoyed it. We still used emergency distress, but
we would ALSO shout out "guys! where the f are you?" As to whether clue
games at the company I played at the time compare to the clue of games
on the Internet at the time? I didn't have access to port 2592 on the
Internet at that time, but from the NNTP newsgroup and screen shots, I
would say that we had very good players (I was never the best - of the
hundreds of people who played at our company, I was probably 3rd or 4th
at the top of my game), but clue games on the Internet sounded
impressive, and I was always disappointed that I was unable to
participate. (This is around 1992-1993, when the Internet was mostly
used by Universities and the government)

By the time the Internet became widely available, I had already reduced
my playing hours significantly as the company I worked for blocked out
playing during working hours (apparently employees were playing all day
instead of working? :-) ), and I grew other responsibilities including
school, a job, and a girl friend. Around 1994-1995 I played occasionally
on the Internet, but if my memory is correct, there was no Windows
client at the time, and playing over X with a 33.6kb/s modem was
extremely painful. I was only able to do well because I was fairly good
at the time, but once the lag hit 1.0+ second latency, and my ship would
go from warp 9 into an area to the next update with my ship exploding, I
gave up. 1996 or so is when I started my yearly interest where I would
play a few days and then take a year break. In the last 5 years, it has
been about 1 day a year. I completely suck right now. My "clue", though,
is that I recognize and know exactly how much I suck. I know I'm not
moving fast enough, or torping fast enough. I know I'm not holding onto
the phaser lock. I know I'm not detting others to protect my team mates,
and I know I'm on the wrong side of the planet than I should be for
conflicts. My knowledge is still good - my intuition and reflex is gone.

So there you have it - that's my Netrek playing history. You can feel
free to mock me for being a twink again... :-)

Cheers,
mark

--
Mark Mielke <mark at mielke.cc>