On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 1:37 AM, Karthik Arumugham <karthik at karthik.com> wrote:
>  It's a non-default SYSDEF option, so I don't see the problem with
>  adding it to the codebase. That said, I have enabled it for bases only
>  on pickled, and not for other ships. The reason for doing this is the
>  proliferation of bases that sit on their homeworld, take heavy damage,
>  and just refit before the next wave. Invulnerable bases sitting on
>  their homeworld on a cored team are no good for the game in my
>  opinion. Nobody has been opposed to this, of the dozen or so people I
>  have polled. (And I do generally poll a cross-section of both clued
>  players and not-so-clued players before making game-modifying
>  decisions like this.)

What I object to is that there are certain numeric gameplay values
that are ingrained into clue players, and affect how we play.  For
example, knowing the range at which enemies can see you, cloaked or
uncloaked.  When we log in, the server options tells us what the
conditions are for Hidden Mode, or what the visibility rules are - the
de facto setting being Tournament only.  In this case, knowing how to
alter damage splitting depending on if a refit station is available,
whether at homeworld or near your team's base.  At the very least, the
refit rules should be in the server options so a player doesn't have
to guess as to the refit rules every time the play.