My vote would be to do something along the lines of:
put "blessed" servers at the top of the list, and all other
servers below, in an "experimental" section.  If there are
still too many servers, then the number of slots for experimental
servers could be limited to one or two with a wait queue.

My reasoning is: if we further cirpple people from being able
to make changes and make new (possibly unpopular) ideas visible
where the community can shop them out, then we'll have doomed
ourselves on a sinking ship.  I think we could do a better job
of letting prospective developers try and fail with new ideas
(and then possibly revise them) on their own time, instead of
turning them all away.