Pondering:

1.  whether we need a wiki at all,

2.  whether the content we have has any significant value,

3.  the error rate in the content we have.

Taking them in reverse order ...

--

3.  the error rate in the content we have

This is not a criticism of contributors, or the lack of time they may
have had, but one of the problems of Wikis is that content ages, becomes
prone to error, unless maintained.

When I detect bad content, I fix it or remove it.  I haven't been
watching the Wiki, because it turns out my RSS feed was relying on
RecentChanges and RecentChanges was broken.  My mistake for not
checking.

I've looked through every page linked from the main page, and the error
rate in the content is surprisingly low.

Some important pages have been maintained well, and that is good.

2.  whether the content we have has any significant value

We have strategic plans, source code, definitions, and history.
Certainly the strategic plans and the collaboration there should be
kept.  The source code instructions are less important, because we do a
reasonable job of following the standard practices used by other
projects.   History, shrug, not sure how valuable that is.

Some duplication is there between source code and Wiki content, but it
isn't a major thing.

1.  whether we need a wiki at all

Yes, I think we do.  It is a useful way to collaborate, especially at
the variable rate that we are exhibiting.

So to fix the current situation takes either:

(a) accepting some work or access control on the current wiki, e.g. an
HTTP authentication prompt to keep out the bots, or;

(b) finding another wiki host, and I know several of you have looked
into that already.

Discuss.