I've worked around the below warning by doing a manual rm -f of the
'offending' files in the post-clean up rule of the dpkg build process.
But as stated, it says I should contact upstream :-)

W: netrek-server-vanilla source: configure-generated-file-in-source
res-rsa/config.status
N:
N:   Leaving config.cache/status causes autobuilders problems. config.cache
N:   and config.status are produced by GNU autoconf's configure scripts. If
N:   they are left in the source package, autobuilders may pick up settings
N:   for the wrong architecture.
N:
N:   The clean rule in debian/rules should remove this file. This should
N:   ideally be done by fixing the upstream build system to do it when you
N:   run the appropriate cleaning command (and don't forget to forward the
N:   fix to the upstream authors so it doesn't happen in the next release).
N:   If that is already implemented, then make sure you are indeed cleaning
N:   it in the clean rule. If all else fails, a simple rm -f should work.
N:
N:   Note that Lintian cannot reliably detect the removal in the clean
N:   rule, so once you fix this, please ignore or override this warning.
N:
W: netrek-server-vanilla source: configure-generated-file-in-source
res-rsa/config.log

I'd think moving the

@/bin/rm -f config.cache config.h config.log config.status  from
distclean:: to clean:; ?

--
Bob Tanner <basic at us.netrek.org>
Key fingerprint = F785 DDFC CF94 7CE8 AA87 3A9D 3895 26F1 0DDB E378