ubuntu0.3 fails to complete the postinst.  Cut and paste below.  It does
result in the netrekd running, and so play is possible, but the dpkg
return code is non-zero, hence apt-get carries it out to shell.

Not sure exactly what the postinst is failing on, I've tested every line
I could ... but I do see it has two invokations of update-rc.d and uses
debconf in the second.  The debconf support we had in the older package
for debian may not be needed yet, and so could be ripped out.  The only
question the postinst addresses is start on boot, and I cannot think of
a use case for not starting on boot.

Setting up netrek-server-vanilla (2.13.0ubuntu0.3) ...
Starting /usr/games/netrekd...
netrekd: Vanilla Netrek Listener 2.14.0 started, pid 6198,
netrekd: logging to /var/lib/netrek-server-vanilla/log
dpkg: error processing netrek-server-vanilla (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 128
 netrek-server-vanilla

server runs as root unecessarily
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/272338
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Netrek
Server Team, which is a direct subscriber.

Status in Netrek Server: Fix Committed

Bug description:
The server runs as root, but it does not need to.

To run as non-root, the packaging should create a username to operate within, and chmod /var/lib/netrek-server-vanilla, and the init.d script should use the created username.  A username of netrek is suggested.