On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 02:03:57PM +1000, James Cameron wrote:

> As a start, figure out how other Linux software handles auto-update.
> Also cover each major distribution; Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, OpenSUSE,
> etc.

	One of the more standard ways involves a dns TXT resource record
	with the version number as the data.  Client pulls the RR,
	compares the value with it's version, alerts user when update is
	present.

	Perhaps have additional data in the RR such as urgency value
	of update (minor, major, critical).

	Pros over HTTP lookup: anything on the net needs to be able
	to look up addresses, most all firewalls will permit it through
	untouched.  HTTP is subject to proxies and other stuff, and
	while it's unlikely that someone is playing from a location
	where they do not have http access, it's still a remote
	possibility.  It's also lower impact.

	Most of the commericial enterprises I've been part of in the
	past 10 years have used this method, so it is standard.

							John

--
"I'm sorry but our engineers do not have phones."
As stated by a Network Solutions Customer Service representative when asked to

"My other computer is your windows box."
                                     Ralf Hildebrandt
<sxem> trying to play sturgeon while it's under attack is apparently not fun.