On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 04:32:49AM -0400, Mark Mielke wrote:

> This is entirely FUD.
>
> *Flex* is completely open as of release 3, and this is the programming
> language you would use to write your Flash applications in. Who cares
> whether the player is open source or not - as long as it is freely
> available?

	Well...  I care.  I'm locked into closed technologies quite
	often and frankly I don't care to be locked into even more.

	But that's me.  Others can, and will, think differently.

	As far as Flex being open or close I will be happy to take
	your word that it is open; I don't touch the thing and
	wouldn't know the status if it jumped up and bit me.  But
	the player isn't :)

> Flash has been stable for 32-bit for many years, and stable for 64-bit
> for several years. Most Facebook applications that people waste their
> time on all day long are written in Flash. Why shouldn't people be
> wasting their time playing Netrek instead of Bejeweled Blitz?

	FUD?

	I can trivially document memory leaks in FF using Flash.  I
	can trivially document CPU utilization issues with Flash.  All
	with the official adobe bits.  A rapid search shows that I am
	by no means the only such person on the net experiencing
	similar behavior, Mark.

	Sorry, but I just can not consider this stable behavior.

	Perhaps my work-flow differs from most other people and leads
	to this type of behavior?  That's possible.  I have 53 tabs
	open in a single FF instance at the moment; and the browser
	process has been alive for a long time.  I also have no tabs
	with Flash content on them at the moment :)  If I did, I would
	have had to restart the browser by now.

	As far as wasting their time?  I don't care what people do with
	their time; I don't see these people playing netrek, however.
	Perhaps I am just a realist and don't live in a world of pipe-dreams
	that some other list members do.

	By all means, put together a netrek client in Flash.  I'll bet
	you real green dollars right now that reiterates my original
	statement that it will just be a waste of time with little no
	no positive gain.  Actually, it would be a bet that I'd be
	happy to lose as my losing would be good for the game.

> Perhaps you are talking about the re-writes of Flash by the free / open
> source community that barely work?

	No, of course not.

> Another valuable reason to learn Flex, is that it can open job
> opportunities. Many companies are writing their client applications in
> Flex instead of Java these days as the Flex tools for mocking user
> interfaces is just cuter and more productive, and the Flex capabilities
> for making fancy graphics easily is just nice.

	I can't argue this as I have no experience from a development
	standpoint.

	I'm really not trying to get into a long-winded discussion
	about this; it is quite apparent we disagree and I'm fine
	with that :)

	I did, however, take offense at the FUD label.  You may not
	agree with my statements but I'm not in the habit of posting
	FUD.  I stand by my statements that Flash is not stable; that
	Flash has memory leaks on multiple target platforms; and that
	Flash is a cpu hog especially over the course of time.

	In any event, I'm calling it a night.

							John

--
Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of
a person or animal is at stake.  Society's punishments are small compared

-- Martin Luther King Jr. (1929-1968), civil-rights leader