As I stumbled around the Mac App store looking for "how to get netrek
in there" I found this email on the Adium mailing list (another GPL
licensed project)

<snip>

On Jan 11, 2011, at 2:43 PM, Evan Schoenberg, M.D. wrote:

I just got off the phone with Karen Sandler, our legal representative
at SoftwareFreedom.org, the not-for-profit firm which provides lawyery
goodness to the IMF and therefore us.

In the current agreement for the App Store - on all platforms - there
are several provisions which restrict distribution.  These are
incompatible with the GPL.  If we were to submit Adium to the App
Store, any contributor - which includes contributors to underlying
libraries like libpurple, libglib, or libintl - could (1) sue us
directly and (2) activate the deauthorization provision in the GPL to
remove our right to use the code, both because we would have knowingly
violated the GPL.

The only ways around this would be:
1) Every contributor agrees to allow Adium to be submitted. This would
require all libraries' contributors.  It's completely infeasible to
contact the 1000+ people that would include... not to mention that one
or more would almost certainly object on free software principles.

OR

2) Have Apple modify the license to allow for the GPL.

Apple, according to Karen, generally dislikes the GPL, and (2) is
therefore unlikely.  However, she has a contact within Apple's legal
team and is going to make a few inquiries... although the VLC takedown
was quite public, it's unknown if a request for such a modification has
really been attempted, either through usual App Store channels or
through a direct appeal to Jobs himself.

-Evan

--
Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com>                  | Phone : (952 943-8700
http://www.real-time.com, Linux, OSX, VMware | Fax   : (952)943-8500