On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 09:56:55AM +0100, Sven Neuhaus wrote:
> Am 09.03.2018 um 05:33 schrieb James Cameron:
> > New feature for Linux kernel may be used to more accurately pace
> > packets sent from Netrek server to client.
> >
> > https://lwn.net/Articles/748744/
> >
> > At the moment packet timing has jitter because it is implemented in
> > user space.
>
> Interesting.
> However, do you think it's worth it?

Agreed, it is interesting.  But no, I don't think it is worth it.

> Have you measured the jitter?

Yes.  It wasn't huge on a LAN, from memory about 2ms at 10 Hz.  On a
wide area network other effects become significant.

> My guess is that it's less than 1ms unless the server and/or its network
> interfaces is/are under considerable load.
>
> Also delaying the packet just to reduce the jitter would make them
> stale, wouldn't it?

Yes, it would make them stale, but making all packets stale by a small
amount would be acceptable.

> Dropping a packet when it couldn't be sent in time doesn't sound very
> appealing either.

Indeed.

Thanks for the response.

--