On Sat, Nov 11, 2000 at 03:37:16PM +1100, James Cameron wrote:

> Reviewed auto-archive.pl ... it would certainly save bandwidth if we
> could send this stuff by something other than mail.  Ideas?

Well, yeah, we could bypass the uuencoding if we don't use mail.

> I'd say a public rsync server with a password known to the code.

Most machines don't have rsync.  In order for the script to work out
of the box, it has to use mail.  Also, most servers don't have cambot
enabled.  Lastly, the autoarchiver actually uses less bandwidth than
the statboy mailing.  gzip should compress all the data to < 50% its
original size, and uuencode adds about 33% to the halved size, so the
transmitted size is about 60-75% of the data.  The cambot is a whopper,
though.  After uuencoding, it comes out to be about a 140,000 line
email message.

Ouch.
--
Dave Ahn | ahn at vec.wfubmc.edu | Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center

When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced.  Try to live your life
so that when you die, you will rejoice and the world will cry.  -1/2 jj^2