On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 07:47:36PM -0500, Steve Sheldon wrote:

> Anyway, I don't see anything necessarily wrong with people at a university
> taking work done there and cashing in as long as they don't have some unfair
> advantage over others.  Meaning, the work that was done at the University
> has been published and available to all on equal terms.

My point is, the RSA algorithm was developed "by" the universities of
the professors involved, and thus if anyone has a right to the patents
of that work, it should be the universities.  It's really no different
than using the facilities of your employer to work on an invention;
it's not your invention if you needed your employer's facilities and
your time on the job to do it.

Certainly I don't have a problem with, say, Eric Brewer going out and
founding Inktomi based on research done at Cal; he's not suing everyone
who wants to make a web crawler.
 -Tom