> [mailto:vanilla-list-admin at us.netrek.org]On Behalf Of Tom Holub
>
> On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 07:47:36PM -0500, Steve Sheldon wrote:
> >
> > Anyway, I don't see anything necessarily wrong with people
> at a university
> > taking work done there and cashing in as long as they don't
> have some unfair
> > advantage over others.  Meaning, the work that was done at
> the University
> > has been published and available to all on equal terms.
>
> My point is, the RSA algorithm was developed "by" the universities of
> the professors involved, and thus if anyone has a right to the patents
> of that work, it should be the universities.  It's really no different
> than using the facilities of your employer to work on an invention;
> it's not your invention if you needed your employer's facilities and
> your time on the job to do it.

But did the University own the patent?  Was the patent filed for at the time
these individals worked for the University?

I don't know, but I would think if the University could prove that research
which had been done there was the basis for this technology, they could
certainly make that case in court.

> Certainly I don't have a problem with, say, Eric Brewer going out and
> founding Inktomi based on research done at Cal; he's not
> suing everyone
> who wants to make a web crawler.

Ahh, this is more of an issue of the applicability of software patents.

I still cannot figure out who thought it was a good idea to allow for the
patent of mathematical algorithms or business processes.