On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Steve Sheldon wrote:

> I still cannot figure out who thought it was a good idea to allow for the
> patent of mathematical algorithms or business processes.

The IP lawyers who run the patent office decided it was a good idea.  This way
there are more stupid patents and more lawsuits, thus more profit for the
patent office and the IP lawyers who run it.  It's a blatant conflict of
interest of course, having policy about something as important as patents
decided by those who stand to directly profit from those decisions.  It would
be like letting the president decide how long his term is and what his salary
is.