It looks like this checksum was generated with md5sum, an implementation
of the one-way hash function MD5.  Md5sum can be used to verify such
checksums (just compute the hash yourself and check that they are equal).

MD5 produces a 128-bit hash which is supposed to be easy to compute but
very difficult to fake.  It should be described in any intro textbook on
cryptography.  (I think the CMU bookstore stocks "Applied Cryptography"
by Bruce Schneier.)

MD5 is being used here as an authentication mechanism rather than to
catch transmission errors.  (FTP uses TCP/IP which provides reliable
transmission.)

-dave