On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 11:18:10AM +1100, James Cameron wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 08:00:04AM -0600, Darryl Palmer Jr wrote:
> > I remember that was one goal of my porting the server code to work on NT.
> > My goals have slightly increased and I wanted to also make it possible for
> > people to write their own robots, and maybe steal some of the thunder from
> > robo-soccer.  I have switched to rewriting the server in Java.  It still
> > remains to be seen if the server can realistically handle 16+ clients, but
> > the code currently isn't really that optimized and it will have to wait
> > until January or so when I can test it.
> Why Java?  We have it in C now.  The server code has nothing in it that
> should not execute fine as C compiled under Cygwin, in order to simulate
> the Netrek universe.  The only issue left is to merge the code into a
> monolithic process rather than split processes.  For that we need some
> heavy C clue and a bit of time.
> This would be for the Cygwin port only, not for UNIX.  The advantage of
> split processes is considerable.

Considering that much of the code currently references shared memory,
I wonder if it would be simpler to use threads instead of processes
for ntserv, daemonII, robotII, etc.?

It doesn't really have to be that monolithic.

mark

--
mark at mielke.cc/markm at ncf.ca/markm at nortelnetworks.com __________________________

                       and in the darkness bind them...