On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 08:07:30PM -0600, Darryl Palmer Jr wrote:
> Trust me, Java sux.  The benefit of writing in Java was to be able to
> support, download, and execute bots that other people write.  Java allows
> you to run other code under different security from the main process, so
> you can limit people from accessing methods that you don't want them to.
> The other point was that more new programmers are probably learning Java
> more than C or C++, and it would be easier to support Java written bots
> with a Java based client.  It is true that one could write a JNI interface
> for the bots to work with the C code but that is a path I didn't want to
> go down.

I dunno... I like Java. It fixes quite a few of the goof-ups made in
C++.

I just wouldn't trust it for any sort of real time system, such as Netrek.

Although... now that gcc can compile java... I may be forced to re-analyze my
position...

mark

--
mark at mielke.cc/markm at ncf.ca/markm at nortelnetworks.com __________________________