On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 11:07:48AM -0800, Trent Piepho wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Mark Mielke wrote:
> > You are telling me that I am approaching things from the wrong angle. I
> > ask you... when was the last time you wrote a bot that could successfully
> > win against most, if not all INL teams?
> When was the last time you did it?

There is always room for a first time if ones tries. There is never
room for a first time, if one doesn't bother to try. If all research
and theories were based entirely on existing research and
implementations, progress would be impossible. There are only so many
ways you can fiddle equations around, until you realize you need to
invent a new type of math.

> Freebot was the product of someone's doctoral dissertation, and a
> team of freebots isn't that hard to beat.  I think you'll find, like
> everyone else who has tried, that writing a good bot for netrek is
> hard, and making a bot team that can be humans is next to
> impossible.

Perhaps. However, I note the difference between your pessimism, and Tom's
outright disrespect. :-) I thank you for this respect. I will attempt to
put it to good use.

There is certainly no harm in trying. If a few people here wish to put
in some time, I still have quite a few ideas.

Worst possible case -- there are quite a few things to learn from the
attempt. Any and all participants, including myself, will have grown
in the attempt. For those that find the idea intriguing, it is even
potentially possible that the attempt could be enjoyed.

Or, we could put our tails between our legs and crawl away from the
obviously omnipotent Tom. :-)

mark

--
mark at mielke.cc/markm at ncf.ca/markm at nortelnetworks.com __________________________