ive expanded my code to do the following:

      if ( is_socket == true ) {
	  /* recording is a server name */
	  // thus open the observer socket and start collecting packets
	String SERVER_HOST_IP = "192.1.1.128";
	String S_PORT = "2593";
	int PORT = 2593;

	java.net.SocketPermission p1 = new SocketPermission(SERVER_HOST_IP+":"+S_PORT, "connect,accept");
	Socket s = new Socket(SERVER_HOST_IP, PORT);
	//	DatagramSocket ds = new DatagramSocket(int port, InetAddress laddr);
	ins = s.getInputStream();
	ous = s.getOutputStream();
	int SOCKVERSION = 4;
	ous.write(SOCKVERSION);
       }

server has responded with the following entries in the log files:

logfile:
Died while waiting for packet...
ERRORS :
1a) read() failed (1, error 38)
ntserv/main.c: disconnect waiting for version packet from 192.1.1.1

I am looking at sheldon's client socket.c and the server's socket.c files to determine what bits must be sent to get the packet stream moving.
-jay