This was done using two open source projects - ogre3d
and CEGui, a UI toolkit which can be made to dovetail
into the Ogre3d rendering engine. It does require a
hardware accelerated card of some sort, but most
recent computers should be able to handle the
baseline. Ogre provides a layer on top of arbitrary
rendering engines so can be used for both openGL and
Direct3D. Everything is fully 3d. No photoshop
involved, except to create textures for the
environment and ships. The models (done using blender)
are still untuned, needing a better shading model and
more, so it should look significantly better in its
final incarnation.

Coding is done in C++, so no VM required.

http://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=156216&ssid=24947

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=156216