On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 04:02:07AM +0200, Niclas Fredriksson wrote:

> I'm not talking about clued players losing their edge or newbies becoming
> clued, but it's a fact that the change from 5 to 10 UPS made the gap
> between great and poor dogfighters a lot smaller.

10 UPS gives everyone more information to use regardless of whether the
player is a great or poor dogfighter.  It is "easier" to dodge torps at
10 UPS because a player can see it coming more clearly than at 5 UPS.
The "gap" between a great and poor dogfighter stayed the same (a guy who
can't react fast enough at 5 UPS also can't react at 10 UPS), but the 10
UPS allows those players with the potential to be better dogfighters to
get there more "easily."  Frankly, I think this is mostly a good thing,
because killing weak dogfighters repeatedly isn't that much fun, and the
most interesting aspect of Netrek isn't dogfighting but rather teamwork
and team strategy, neither of which are affected by 10 UPS, 256 ship
positions, or other technical details.