William Balcerski wrote:

>>Although this may seem like a scary idea, a reworked client could use
>>one of the commonly-available, portable graphics engines, such as Ogre.
>>In particular Ogre provides access to the full range of transformations
>>available in 3D.  While the game itself is not played in 3D, there are
>>effects which could be implemented using such an engine (lighting,
>>parallax starfields, etc.)
>>

>Gregory Hermann (spelling?) is working on netrek GL which uses Ogre I
>believe, you can get it off the netrek sourceforge site.  Not sure if it's
>in a working state at the moment.  But the screenshot of the 3d klingon
>battlecruiser was quite nice.  Of course, netrek is a 2d game so any 3d
>stuff is gonna be..limited at best.  Or just plain distracting.

Yes, I'd only use 3D in places where it makes sense.  Mostly, for
Netrek, I consider the Ogre engine useful for being able to set up nice
rotations, scaling and compositing.  The engine has a variety of useful
tools for effects as well.

>>The delay is inherent in the sound itself.  The attack rate for the
>>phaser sound is too low (i.e. the volume does not rise fast enough.)
>>That is just my opinion though.
>>

>Well phaser sound is 1 second long and the phaser sound begins .01 seconds
>into the sound file, reaching maximum volume at .15 seconds.  Sound for
>other people's phasers is shorter, at .6 seconds, with sound starting .03
>seconds into the file, reaching maximum volume at .09 seconds.  Was it
>other's phasers that you think was too delayed?  I can chop .02 seconds
>off the front.

I guess I expected a shorter rise to full volume.  The mind is pretty
good at detecting visual/audio synchronization and for some reason that
particular sound bothers me.  Just my opinion, I could be particularly
sensitive to it :)

>>occur.)  The current 'rows of settings' with some being clickable, some
>>being just informational does not fit any standard paradigm and looks
>>clunky, even if it IS functional.
>>

>That would take a massive redesign, something I'm not really wanting to
>do.  I find it easy to use anyways.  May not be pretty but it works better
>now than it ever has in terms of options listed correctly, options
>actually working as they supposed to, and the ability to save options.

I know it's a lot of work.  This would be done in the context of a
general client redesign.  I don't think it's worth attempting to fix it
within the current client.

>>The client could do a check and if the screen resolution is less than
>>the size needed to show the window with decorations, turn them off, but
>>only in the case where there is not enough room.  Alternately, the title
>>bar could be left on by default, but a 'fullscreen' option presented
>>which eliminates the decorations (and expands the window to the full
>>screen size.)  This is a more standard paradigm for removing window
>>decorations, and may be less offensive to users.
>>

>I agree with Jimmy, less window border clutter, the better.  As mentioned
>earlier, resizing windows and having everything scale is quite a large
>task, but a goal nonetheless.

Well, my reason is that the objective is to make the game approachable
and sensible for new users.  Users expect one of two user interfaces:
windowed, where the game is displayed inside an OS-standard window; and
fullscreen, where there is no border of any sort and the game takes up
the whole screen.  What Netrek does now is bizarre except to the
initiated :)

>>Tip of the day are great.  Another thing to consider is creating a help
>>file appropriate to the OS.  Such a help file could include the newbie
>>guide as well.  Here I am specifically thinking of a windows help file
>>or a web page which is launched in your default browser when you select
>>'help.'
>>

>Ok, I think we actually do a good job on help.  Hitting F1 brings up a
>windows help file covering the client basics.  The metaserver window links
>to newbie guide, rec.games.netrek, netrek homepage, dogfight manual and
>netrek faq.  The netrek xp documentation in the docs folder is also up to
>date.  I'm really not sure what else to add help wise.

Oh, I didn't know that help was available from in game like that.  My bad :)