Hi Chris, the graphics were made by Pascal Gagnon, he was on the list, not
sure if he still is, he said a few weeks ago that he had to go offline for
6 months.  I know he wouldn't mind if you used them, I think he released
them with some license that allows open use (Jerub knows more on this).
His email address *was* dopleganger75 AT gmail.com.  Use @ instead of AT.
You can take the bitmaps straight out of the xp 2006 client and resize
them to your needs.  I'm the author of that client, and I took his
original 1000x1000 drawings and put them in 80x80 (ships) or 120x120
(planets) pixel size.  In the case of planets, I created the different
race colors through colorizing the bitmaps in my pixel editor.  In the
case of the one rotating planet (unknown planet), I used GIMP's create a
rotating planet function.  I don't have the original 1000x1000s if you
wanted those, though.  I hope he comes back some day, still need some more
art for rotating planets (need square shaped planets to input into the
GIMP function).
Bill