On Tue, 23 May 2006, Jimmy Huang wrote:
> > Tue May 23 04:09:21 PDT 2006  Trent Piepho
> > <xyzzy at speakeasy.org>
> >   * torp dir for robot
> >   Hadley's bot expects to get torp direction from
> > the server, but the
> >   server only sends it for your own torps.  Someone
> > probably changed this
> >   years ago to combat borgs.  Changed back to send
> > it for other
> >   torps too.  Without it, the bot thinks all torps
> > are going straight up,
> >   making it a very bad dodger (unless you attack
> > from below).
>
> Whoa. I thought if Hadley's bot didn't get torp
> direction information, it did try to deduce it. Did I
> miss something in the code?

Nope.  I discovered this when I was trying to get the bot the play with
ping-pong plasma.  It would usually just let itself get smacked.  I finally
figured out that the dodge code thought all torps (& plasma) were going in
direction 0, straight up.

Haven't you noticed that the bot really sucks are dodging torps?  The iggy
bots are much simpler Hadley's bot, but they are far harder to hit.